Friday, December 17, 2004

Life in California

It's been getting pretty cold here in the evenings. Not as cold as my New York friends, but cold for around here. It's been in the lower 30's at night for the last 4 or 5 nights. The highs have been in the 50's and even up into the lower 60's. It wouldn't be bad except that our furnace decided to stop working. I've felt colder at SCA events, but it's still kind of chilly in the house for most of the day. So far I've been able to warm it up a little baking cupcakes and making a roast. Hopefully we can get it fixed in the next few days.

When I see my Doctor, next month, I will have to remember to tell her about the dizzy spells and the balance problems I've had lately. I've had these problems for years, I'll be sitting still and I'll feel dizzy for no reason. But lately it's been more often and for a longer duration. I'm also starting to loose my balance just walking across the room. I can't remember the name of the condition she said could be causing it.

Aidan discovered that if you turn the TV off while it's Muted and then turn it on again it won't be muted any more. I'm still concerned about his language development, I'm sure that he can hear well since he can mimic things he hears. But he still has very few words. He will have a Doctors appointment after his second birthday, so I will talk to his Doctor about it then. Oh, he had his final check up with the surgeon. Everything looks good. He is 35.5 inches tall and 30 pounds.

4 comments:

Inwardly Confused said...

I had the same worries with my eldest son...he is now 4 will be 5 in March. He went to a speech therapist and after lots of exercises and tests it was decided that he just didn't want to talk . He had other stuff that he looked upon as more important. His comprehension of the world and his place in it was advanced for his age. I never had a problem understanding him and now he is at school he is in line with other children and you'd never know it was an issue.
That was my main worry that other children wouldn't understand him and not play with him but he is very patient and made them understand and never got frustrated, he is like a zen master. Anyway I hope it all goes well for you and that the checkup is all good news. Have a great Christmas.

Messed up Mama said...

Thank you for the incouraging words. I'm sure things are fine. I just worry too much I guess. I have two older children, in their 20's, I'm 45 now and it feels like he's my first. LOL

Shylah said...

Could it be Ménière disease? I just recently read about a gal who had it during her last pregnancy. I hope I'm not passing out unsolicited stuff, but here's a website with some info on it: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/balance/thebasics_menieres.asp

Sorry it's been so long since I've been over here.. would you believe that I'm STILL trying to catch up on everyone after my hospital stay? Geez! I sure have a talkative bunch on my blogroll. LoL

Messed up Mama said...

Shyla, that is exactly what they told me it was most likely to be. It was first discovered by a hearing test at Costco, I have a hearing loss in an odd range which got the tester thinking. He asked me if I ever feel dizzy for no reason, and if I get ringing in my ears sometimes.I talked to my Doctor about it several months ago, but she didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about. But now I'm loosing my balance while walking across the room, which wouldn't bother me too much except when it happens while I'm carrying Aidan. I know that there isn't much that can be done to help with it, but the few treatments there are might help some. Thank you for the link, it was very helpful.