Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A tail of two broken ribs.

The main thing on my mind lately is, of course, my ribs. Everything I do hurts at least a little bit. But things are getting better, the pulled muscles and stressed tendons are healing well so that most of the remaining pain is because of my ribs.

I've been trying to remember how it happened, but the details are kind of fuzzy. It was Monday the 7th of February. Aidan had gone up the stairs for the hundredth time, so I went up to get him. I had him around the middle with my left arm, he was facing away from me, the hand rail was on the left side. I felt myself start to fall. I must have tried to catch myself because the fingers of my right had some damage. I almost stopped us from falling, but couldn't quite do it. I let Aidan slip down to the last couple of steps. And then I continued to fall. I think I landed on a large monitor. I don't remember landing, or rolling to my back. I couldn't breath, and all I could think of was Aidan, was he hurt? Of course he was fine, not a bump or bruise on him.

My Mom, who used to be a CNA and a massage therapist, was there and started to check me out. Snowanna was a little panicked and asked if she should call an ambulance. David took Aidan to the other room and kept him busy while I tried to make my lungs work again. The second thing Snowanna asked me was, "Did you break a finger nail?" (I got my first acrylic nails on the 5th) Funny enough, the second thing Howard asked me, once he found out I was OK was also "Did you break a nail?" Mom took Aidan and me up to Hood River with her that night. The next day I felt really bad so Mom took me to the hospital, where I had ex-rays that showed my broken ribs. I wasn't thinking too well, and didn't look at them. I'm not sure which ones are broken. I do know, because of where it hurts the most, that they are in the upper part and I think the breaks are under my arm toward the front. Oh yeah, it's my right side, and that causes a lot of trouble because I'm very right handed. Every move I make, every thing I pick up, every time I breath deeply it hurts. Coughing is bad, but sneezing is worse. It's been 2 weeks, the Doctor says it will be about 6 weeks before I'm back to normal.

Howard is being very nice and helpful. Aidan is taking advantage of the fact that I'm not moving very fast. LOL He's 2 now and this just gives him a little edge. He is really a good boy and he isn't really misbehaving all that much, just pushing the limits a little bit. If all things keep going as they are right now we will be fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the story's even worse than I thought. I'm glad it was your ribs and not your skull!

the girl